Thursday, December 10, 2009

Double booked

I had both a midwife and an acupuncture appointment today. I will be going to both weekly for the next little while...basically until the birth.

Early on and after carefully weighing our options, S and I decided that a home birth was the right choice for the type of experience we both wanted to have when this little one is born. Part of that decision was made because of how much we both liked our midwife team. A few months after making that decision, we received a letter in the mail informing us that one of our beloved midwifes was pregnant herself and due about 2 weeks after me. We already knew that they had planned on having another midwife join their team permanently but didn't think it would affect our plans. Now, with this news, we also learned that there would be a new midwife joining to take over during maternity leave. The kicker was that one starts in December and one starts in January. At first, it seemed like a real possibility that a midwife that we had never met could possibly show up at our door to deliver our baby. I, of course, burst into tears and proclaimed that "our plans are ruined!" Luckily, we have had the opportunity to meet both, I really like one of them and just met the other today. She is nice but is really new to midwifery....I know everyone has to learn sometime but it still makes me nervous. I also learned that she is on call on New Year's Eve - the next full moon when I'm predicting I'll go into labour. Hmmm. I'm a bit nervous. I'll wait and see how I feel in a week or so as I'm sure my feelings will change over time.

I was looking forward to my acupuncture appointment today as we started treatment for "cervical ripening." Unfortunately, my regular acupuncturist (I've been seeing her since before I was pregnant) was unable to make it. I said yes to a replacement and wasn't terribly happy. It wasn't unpleasant...just different. Quicker, rougher, not as relaxing.

So, two appointments, both new and different than what I was expecting. I guess I should get used to new and different, right?

No comments: