Sunday, November 14, 2010

And sleep again!

Ok.

So.

Once upon a time I wrote about how it seemed that people (moms, in my experience) seemed to be obsessed with sleep. How can I get my baby to sleep longer? Why won't my baby sleep? And so on. I also acknowledged that I too had experienced sleep deprivation short term and that perhaps if I was sleep deprived long term I may too be obsessed.

Well.

I haven't slept longer than 2 hours at a time for 4 months. Yep, I'm pretty tired over here.

I still haven't changed my feelings on how I respond to the lack of sleep though. I still strongly believe that Baby is waking up for a reason other than to drive me to completely crazy ;) Sometimes it appears to be teething, sometimes it's the curry that was for dinner (oops, sorry Baby), sometimes it appears to be related to new developmental milestones and sometimes it appears that Baby is just too busy during the day to nurse so makes up for it at night. Sometimes in the middle of the night I'll glance at the clock after she has woken up for the 4th or 5th time and I'll realize that we've only been in bed for a few hours. On those nights I feel as though I might lose it and I wonder if I'll ever get any uninterrupted sleep. Other nights I get 2 hours stretches and I wake up feeling quite rested and happy about the night's schedule. I'm usually very thankful that Baby goes back to sleep immediately after nursing for a few minutes and that I'm not up for hours or anything too disruptive.

I'm also very thankful that we all still bed-share. Even with all the wake ups and sore shoulders and sore backs, I honestly wouldn't change a thing. I feel confident that sharing our nights in close proximity was and is definitely the best choice for our family.

Even after 10 wake-ups in 8 hours...I still love your sweet nighttime cuddles, Baby!

No comments: