Thursday, January 7, 2010

Encapsulation

Our doula, Michelle, came by today for a visit. It was the first time I'd seen her since the birth. It was nice to sit around and chat about the birth. How it went, what happened, etc.

She also brought over my placenta. She dried it out and we are going to encapsulate it. The cord is dried intact and we'll likely plant it somewhere. When I first read about women ingesting their placentas after birth I was pretty grossed out. I imagined a raw, wet, dripping bloody piece of meat hanging out of someone's mouth and it made me feel queasy just thinking about it. When I heard about encapsulating it and all the amazing benefits that could be reaped, I changed my mind and decided it was something I really wanted. It's currently sitting in a canning jar on our coffee table. If you're over to our house, please don't mistake it for coffee.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I've been reading all about this and, like you, was really repulsed by the thought... at first. Now, I'm stunned by the benefits that come from ingesting it. Hope that all is going well with you three! xox.