Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Excerpts

Some excerpts from my conversation with Chloe, a 7 year old I met while dining with Baby at Little Nest this afternoon.

Chloe: "Where is your husband?"
Me: "I don't have one."
Chloe: "Did you get divorced?"
Me: "Nope."
Chloe: "You never got married?"
Me: "Nope."
Chloe: "Are you going to?"
Me: "No."
Chloe: "Why?"
Me: "I don't want to."
Chloe: Nods.


Chloe: "How old are you?"
Me: "I'm 39."
Chloe: Nods.
Me: "Pretty old?"
Chloe: "My mom is 42 years old. She will be 43 on Thursday."
Me: "Wow! It's her birthday coming up! Did you get her anything special for her birthday?"
Chloe: Nods. "A guitar lesson."
Me: "That sounds like a great present!"
Chloe: "And a chicken."
Me: "A chicken?! A real one?"
Chloe: Nods and glances back towards mom.
Me: "Is it a surprise?"
Chloe: "Yes."
Chloe: "She already has the guitar at home."
Me: "I see."


Chloe: "Why is that shirt so big?"
Me: "I don't know." (Thinking to myself...geez, a fashion critic already!)
Chloe: "Why is it all stretched out?"
Chloe: "Because of her?" (Points to Baby)
Me: "Umm"
Chloe: "From when you were pregnant?"
Me: (Phew, an out!) "Yeah, I wore this when I was pregnant!"
Chloe: Nods.

No comments: